Monday, 3 February 2014

Chunky Grannys

Just flying by to show you a little something I've been working on.  Ages ago I saw this pattern on the We Love Lucy board on Ravelry and have been meaning to give it a try.  Last weekend happenstance led to me putting together a load of odds and ends of yarn I had lurking in my stash.  I liked the result and so felt this was the time to give the pattern a go.
It is a lovely pattern and very well written as well as being free (which is always nice).  The results go really well with my red coat...
and I've received lots of positive comments on these horrible cold wet mornings we've been having in the UK.
I didn't work all of the pattern.  Firstly my yarns were limited in amount and quite thick and also because I worked a much longer starting chain (249).  If I had finished the pattern I would have ended up with an enormous shawl which would have been beautiful but not of much practical use to me so I just kept going until they were mostly used up.  I think I have enough left for a pair of mitts which I will tackle in the next few weeks.
Now on to another new project.  I've been wanting to make a shawl just to fling on in the evenings when it's getting chilly and I don't want to put on the heating.  Its well underway now so should be ready to show you before too long.
Thank you all so much for your positive comments about my sewing last week.  I'm definitely improving now but crochet is far more forgiving.
Have a wonderful week everybody.

10 comments:

  1. Love that! Great colors. I recently used up a lot of leftover and stash yarn in a granny stripe afghan. Gotta love the grannies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely chuffed that you liked my pattern, your shawl is so beautiful! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful, I love your colour choices....they look fab with your coat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely make and I love the Colours...very warm and cosy...isn't crochet so satisfyingly good at making warm things easily and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness.. that turned out awesome! I love the earthy browns intersected with brights.. just magnificent! I went to the grocery store today and two ladies accosted me asking about my shawl! Love it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the look! The color combination is terrific .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, Hilly T ! I admire your combination of colors and the pattern. I have so much to learn! Thanks for posting and inspiring me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was gunna say this looks like like Nanitas and low and behold it is! It looks fabulous, this has been in my queue for ages, I don't know why I don't just make it :-o

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, those colors are making my heart soar! In fact, I had to bookmark this post in my color inspiration folder for future reference. Looks wonderful with your red coat. I have been craving crocheting a shawl ever since I saw the Nordic Shawl pattern a few weeks ago on one of my usual blog reads. Can't wait to see what pattern you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I love your blog, is beauty, I love the colors, I love your crochet, visit my blog too,hugs from Brazil.
    http://www.titacarre.com
    http://elo7.com.br/titacarre

    ReplyDelete